Monday, July 13, 2009

Before giving birth I didn't realize...

(this one is for all the moms out there)
One month ago I didn't realize:
The value of having grandparents close by, and what a loss it is not to have them close daily...

How close this experience would make me to my own mom...

That multiple days could pass (at first) without me leaving our house...

That 20 pounds could disappear in one week! Amen...

That I could survive without a full night's sleep, getting conditioned to shorter stretches...

That I would "hear" my baby's cry, even when she was sound asleep...

That I would be able to walk a 5K less than a month after giving birth...

That taking a 4 hour road trip by myself with an infant could be possible...

That my bad (fast) driving wouldn't change with my new precious cargo, bummer...

That going to the bathroom (TMI) could be scary at first and such a challenge with stitches:)

That bras were made in a size H! Uggh.

That something as natural as breastfeeding would be so hard for me, and that something as stupid as low milk production could make me feel like a failure in life.

But that supplementing would be the course we have to take.

And seeing a 10 pound, one month old, asleep in her crib would be the most beautiful sight ever.

Lots of stuff I didn't realize til this past month... I could go on (like how fast/high weeds grow in a month in my yard in the summer) I am glad to know that life goes on post-baby. We've taken Claire to restaurants, churches, grocery and clothes shopping, a baseball game, the beach, all over Austin, etc. Not bad for less than 5 weeks of life.

2 comments:

mama said...

Yup, prior to Claire's birth I never imagined the intimacy of sharing with my daughter the raising of her daughter. Words can't convey the preciousness of this dimension in my life. Thank you, LittleLady and LittlestLady!!

Beth said...

Hi Casey, Congratulations! Shannon told me the great news of Claire's birth so I thought I'd head over to your blog from her blog=) I hear you on the supplementing front. We did it with Will and I also felt like I was pumping more than the local dairy for the first month. Eventually it started working for him but it's a challenge for sure. Hang in there!