Sunday, December 7, 2008

The "Spouses Club"

So there's this thing in the military called the Spouses Club. I'd heard frightening things before joining the military about how catty and gossipy these women could be, even though my rare encounters with wives in our first squadron were quite the contrary. Granted, I only did like two things with them in three years, but I'm a big fan of Shannon and Beth, so I imagine everyone else was as cool as you two! I never participated regularly in WA, since grad. school commitments and previous friends were readily available. But since I only have one official friend here (whom I had to import from WA, mind you), I decided to take the plunge, as it were.

Today I went to my first Spouses Club function, which included a cookie exchange, painting of an airplane ornament, making gift tags, etc. It feels awkward to interview 30 women to be potential friends, so I'm glad there were activities to keep my hands busy while I tested the waters with various unsuspecting victims. Little do they know that I've spent more time watching seasons of Alias on my computer than talking with actual human new friends:)

But I am pleased to report that there is hope for me, after all. Everyone I connected with was pretty nice and I even gave my phone number out twice. It feels awkward to say that, like I'm looking for a date or something:) But in some ways, the feeling is kind of the same. "Hey you're cool, I'm cool, let's hang out..." I talked to two gals who'd also just arrived this fall. It seems weird to interview women, but this is the thought that goes through my head often times, "you're neat, but oh you're leaving this spring? Then I'm not going to invest in you as much." The two gals I gave my number to will live here the same 3 years as us; and fortuitously, both live pretty close by. One is even in my neighborhood, she and her hubby just got back from Japan. The other is due a week before me, and is a Christian. That was encouraging to hear, since I have no clue what the heck I'll be doing as a mom. Apparently they have play dates for squadron babies through 4 year olds weekly, as well as a book club, bunko nights, and monthly events like today, or wine tasting nights.

So I'm encouraged that I won't be alone here, after all. Los and I have enjoyed how peaceful it is down here (e.g. not much to do, so lots of time to hang out); and I'm excited to start expanding our circle of friends and to get to know some of these women who've lived everywhere in the country and who've had similar experiences to us. It is nice for the human heart to know it is not alone.

8 comments:

Beth said...

Yay for you Cayce! I know showing up to such a large event as the "new girl" can sometimes be a little overwhelming...I'm so glad you had such a positive experience and I hope one of your "prospects" is the friend that will walk beside you in this season of life!

Julie said...

Glad to hear that you're meeting new people! I'm sure that it can be pretty lonely otherwise. Hope that you're doing well and not experiencing morning sickness.

shannonandforrest said...

I can just see the little notebook in your head with a "friend requirements" checklist! Ha! "We'll be calling notifying candidates for the position within a couple weeks. Don't call us, we'll call you" =) Wish we were close enough to have the job of every-day hang out friends! Love ya and love to baby Ev.

P.S. If you want to know what it is like to be a mom like me right this minute, put a bib on Burls and feed him cheerios to his hearts content while you read blogs and listen to Raffi Christmas on the stereo. It's not as hard as it all seems =)

Studlows said...

Hey Casey! First, congrats on your pregnancy, very exciting! Second, I can totally relate to your "friend-interviews" being a Navy wife. I had a hard time at first too because I didn't feel like I had a lot of room in my life for more life-long friends (that sounds bad, but I have great friends from high school, college). Then I heard someone say that friends come into our lives for different reasons and also for different seasons. I started to see that maybe I could relax and enjoy some new friends who might only be my friends for a short time and not necessarily life-long. This made it seem like not such a huge commitment to be friends with someone while I was living somewhere far away or someone who had a baby the same age as me. Well, hope you are having a great time in TX! Love to hear your updates!

Love, Kara

A, E, e, a said...

Good Work, Casey! That's one of the hardest parts of Navy life, for sure...the "starting over" in each city/state/country. But, you did it! Enjoy. Remember that you're not only making friends and companions, but God can bless others THROUGH you, too. Who knows who/what God has in store for you down there!

Case and Los said...

Thanks guys! You're the motivation:)

Unknown said...

Way to dive in!

Anonymous said...

Finding new friends nearby-fab. Just think- you can learn to play Bunko poker, Bridge, knit booties, take care of babies (practice for the blessed event and thereafter)and never leave the neighborhood. Wow, you got it ALL! All kidding aside, we're proud of how you risked and got outside your comfort zone. No doubt you'll continue to meet people and build your circle of "cool people" and as Shannon says, check your list of "friend requirements" ;that cracked me up. Love from us