Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's a... girl??? Help us think of a middle name.

After all the anticipation building up to the climax of yesterday's sonogram, the experience was anti-climactic to say the least! Apparently our little person was hanging out in the womb a little backwards or upside down, or the opposite of however the tech needed her to be to see her private parts. She's modest already, I'll take it!

She checked her brain, heart, kidneys and all her perfect little organs for a LONG time before saying, "I don't see anything dangling, I'm pretty sure it's a girl." What do you mean PRETTY SURE?! She said, "well if it was me I'd go out and buy pink. Just save your receipts." Um, okay... The OB confirmed that opinion, but said you can never be 100% sure until the baby comes out; which I didn't know. Our OB said that while she was in Med. School at Georgetown, the head of the dept. did her sonogram and told her that she was having a girl, when in fact it was a boy. So if he could make a mistake, anyone can... And apparently parents (who've spent $20G+ on decorating nurseries) have SUED hospitals before for wrongful determination... intense. So that's why they can't always give you a 100% positive answer.

But she said from our photos it was close to positive that we're having a girl, and they wrote girl in our chart, so that's what we're going with, unless surprised in June! We both really wanted a girl, so we're excited. Some of my reasons were vain (e.g. girls have cuter clothes) but others (girls can stay closer to their parents when they get married) had more validity. We know she'll be super strong-willed, tall and athletic, a natural leader; and we can't wait to meet the person that will change our lives forever. Or as Los' best friend said, "your heart is about to be ripped out." Just 4 more months! Now that we saw her for 1/2 an hour yesterday, it is starting to become more real to me, and for the first time in this pregnancy, I am beginning to get excited. I can't tell from looking in a mirror, but she's 10 inches long and looks like a real person! They sent us home with a DVD of her moving around inside me. Crazy.

We both love the name Claire, so that's what we'll name her, with the obvious nickname Clairebear already rolling off our tongues quite naturally. Wanting her to be multi-lingual out of the womb, we're already starting to talk to her in Spanish and other languages, so she can come out mastering them by elementary school:) Just kidding. Kind of.

Anyway, so there's our big news:) We're currently accepting all suggestions for middle names. We're not so sure what goes with Claire Evans:) Los wants her middle name to officially be Bear. But I'm not so keen on that, go figure:)

15 comments:

Team Hemphill said...

I love the name Claire! It's beautiful! I'm so thrilled for you guys. Luke and I also want a girl first but we'll obviously take what we get ;-)

A, E, e, a said...

That's so fun that you got to watch CLAIRE move around for 30 minutes AND that you have a DVD of it! So cool!! One of my college roommates has a little girl, Claire Elise, and I LOVE those together, but I'm a little biased, obviously! Have you thought through any family names? tributes to a favorite location, and/or names of spiritual heroes? just some ideas...

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!!!! Her and Ing's and Lily can be best friends.

Case and Los said...

Joel, that's my hope! I envision you guys coaching soccer together for their team:) Or something like that!
Emo, I love Elise as a middle name! Who knows...

Julie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

How exciting- a little girl (most likely :-)

I, too, love little girls for the same reason- cute outfits and I also like the girly toys better.

As for middle names... I do like Elise, as mentioned before, but I also like Noelle, Marie, Sophia and Mackenzie. Hope you're feeling great- you sound SO happy :)

The Mrs/Mom said...

Yeah for Claire!!! It is so amazing to watch her move around and see her. I'm so happy for you it's a wonderful experience.

Claire is a great name and she is going to be a great little girl.

beatrix said...

I vote for Claire Beatrix (Claire
Bear for short)

Case and Los said...

My mom suggested Riley, that's cute...

Unknown said...

Wow! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you guys - I can't wait to read more about your process into parenthood. :)

Unknown said...

Wow - Congratulations! I'm so excited for you guys - I can't wait to read more about your process into parenthood. :)

Unknown said...

Oops! I'm kinda new at this... somehow I managed to post my comment twice...Sorry! :)

Anonymous said...

I love Claire.. that's so beautiful! There's a little girl at our church whose 3yrs old named Claire...and she's so cute. Congrats, Casey and Los! I'll give some thought to the middle names...

Anonymous said...

ok.. I love names..so here is a long list:

Claire Ellis Evans(cool meaning: the Lord is my God)
Claire Addison Evans
Claire Elodie Evans
Claire Lillith Evans
Claire Amalie Evans
Claire Jolie Evans
Claire Isabel Evans
Claire Satine Evans

Anonymous said...

case... there's this great book of names...

here's the link on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Names-Pamela-Redmond-Satran/dp/0312304390

satine is a french name... claire's origin is french, i think...so... and some chick in a movie was named satine but now i don't remember which movie, but the character was nicole kidman :)

it has some more unusual ones.. i liked it.. cohen didn't come out of there, but i still liked it:)

Unknown said...

How about Ulysses? Then Los could call her Uly-baby instead of your dad.