Thursday, August 9, 2007

Europe 3.0

Well #1, I finally didn't get sick on a vacation, so that was super... But the stress of having a car/not being able to read road signs, etc. was enough to make a person crazy. Maybe that should be another blog, European lowlights? But this is the highlights. So...

*Being with my brother in a foreign country. He is just cool. And as much as we are different, and hardly know each other as adults; it was really special to see him in his element, living Euro... He has huge hair, is super tall, and rides a scooter. So he majorly sticks out over there, it's pretty funny. But he keeps it real.

*Hiking Cinque Terre in Italy. Absolutely GORGEOUS view and the strenuous hike was way worth it. Put this on your list as a must-do in your lifetime.

*Seeing all the cute coastal villages in Italy. I'd recommend Monterosso over where we stayed in Riomaggiore.

*The South of France. Gorgeous mediteranean sea, next to massive vineyards in Provence, sooo peaceful.

*Aix-en-Provence. Go there. Sit in a cafe on Cours Mirabeau, the "most beautiful street in all of Europe." You'll be glad you did.

*Buying wine= one of the best things I did was bring an extra rolly suitcase and carry it on to the plane. I bought tons of wine, champagne, olive oil, soaps and gifts and had lots of space for it.

*Going to the Brocante. For my mother-in-law, we went to a 'flea market' and saw all this old awesome stuff that French peeps didn't want anymore. If I had more money, I would've bought beautiful silver serving pieces, but instead we bought cute old french kids books, etc. It was a lot more fun than shopping at touristy places, because it was all authentic. Next time I would buy linens and house stuff.

*Lac d'Annecy= Gorgeous. Go to Annecy in your lifetime. You'll be glad you did. I will be back there in my life, I hope.

*Switzerland. Love it. I've now been almost everywhere in the whole country (a ski trip to the Jungfrau region will complete my journeys there). Go there, eat the chocolate, it will change your life. And eat Raclette if you can:)

*Chartres- I'll post pics of the cathedral where we got engaged, but it was so special to revisit it with my mom and in the summer. A majestic, 800+ year old place.

*and lastly, Paris... My third time there, and it never fails to impress. I took my mom to our favorite restaurant, Fuxia, and it was the best meal of the whole trip. They grow their own grapes in vineyards in the south of France, Italy, and Chile, and they have a market up the street from the restaurant where they sell all their stuff. Awesome. I bought some for Los for an anniversary present. Don't tell, it's a surprise.

*we got there on the last day of the Tour de France, so that was a cool experience, seeing all the decorations up around the Champs Elysees, etc. I almost bought Los a jersey, but they were 80 Euro (over $100 USD) so I balked. I got him soccer shorts from PSG instead:)

Over all, even with it's stresses, this trip was awesome. I got to go to a lot of towns/cities I'd never been to before, and unlike my first time in Europe, I didn't hear too much English/meet that many Americans (which was a good thing). I think we picked places to stay/visit that Europeans were vacationing in, which I took as a good sign. I found some quaint, untouristy villages that I would love to go to again, as well as appreciated a couple popular places (Italy, and Paris).

When we go to Europe again, I'd love to see other areas (Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Turkey/Greece, etc.) but it's always great to go to these countries I know and love. I'd love to hear advice from you who've been to other countries, and/or to encourage you to travel where we have! Gimme a holler...

No comments: