Wednesday, September 19, 2007

San Francisco- great sea food and Gordon Biersch fries

One of my goals in life was to go to every state in the United States. Now that this has almost been accomplished (5 left), my next goal is to be on every continent, in as many countries as possible. Call it the travel bug, call it wanderlust, call it what you will; I just can’t get enough! I love people and places, I love marveling at the diversity of creation.
And luckily, one of my favorite places I have ever been is somewhere I can go regularly, the Bay Area. Living in Berkeley (5 years ago now, I can’t believe it has been that long since I moved there) was one of the highlights of my life. It had a lot of what I love about Seattle, plus it was close enough to drive to see my family in a couple of hours.
I went there this weekend with my parents, and had the most fabulous time. We got to eat at the world’s best pizza place, www.zacharys.com, and then go into the City for the night. While my fam went to a musical, I hung out and read in Union Square. I sat by a mentally-ill homeless woman for about ½ an hour and she cracked me up. I paid sporadic attention to the monologue she was having, it was quite entertaining. I love the worldwide class of SF, combined with the culture and grittiness it has.
I stayed at my cousin’s cute apartment in the Marina district (she’s a bigshot for Banana Republic and gets to travel around the world- jealous!). That is such a fun neighborhood, and we walked along the beach toward the Golden Gate Bridge in the morning. I used to really look up to her when I was a kid. It was special to hang out with her and reflect on life; somehow we both became adults!
Sunday afternoon we all went to the Giants-Dodgers game, which was a blast. My dad is a diehard LA fan, growing up in the 50s and hiding his transistor radio under his pillow at night when he was supposed to be asleep, so he could listen to the games… Conversely, my step-mom grew up watching Willie Mays and the Giants. So their rivalry is hilarious. We sat right above the dugout in these killer seats, and I got to see my homie Barry Bonds in action. We chowed down on the game food and enjoyed the close game. Afterwards we decided this is going to an annual tradition.
I like it. I’m in.

No comments: