Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Stomach Suspenders and Baby Paraphernalia

For all those ladies that have been prego before, please tell me your advice. I'm in week 24, and really have NOTHING to complain about, since I've gained only maybe 7 lbs. thus far, 1 of it being another person (grow, Claire, grow!). I'll chalk that up to 'awesome' morning sickness, and all the eating at home we've been doing (amazing what unprocessed foods will do for you? I guess God's design of food is better than our diabetes and obesity-inducing creations, after all! Who knew?!)

Still, though, when I go on walks with little b, sometimes I wish there was such an invention as stomach suspenders, because my tummy just feels so... awkward. Like I need some construction worker guy's industrial-sized belt:) One friend suggested pre-natal yoga could help improve my posture. Any recommendations on dvd's? The only class pre-natal class here is a far drive away (okay, really only like 25 minutes, but I'm that lazy- I know I used to drive an hour to Seattle on a whim, but times have changed). I've also read things online about "belly bands," but do they really work?

I'm open to any and all feedback. Since I'm joining you in the "sorority of motherhood," please indoctrinate me! And while you're at it, I'd LOVE to hear any baby "products" that you can't live without/LOVE to pieces. We started to register, but it was SO overwhelming- baby paraphernalia is SUCH a market these days, we were a little stressed out by it, just like wedding registry when we spent 4 consecutive hours at Williams-Sonoma, fretting over which dishes to choose, and the All-Clad pots and pans we don't even have today... Good times. I've been eyeing Craigslist faithfully, knowing we can score some stuff that way, but what would you suggest we buy or register for? Spill the beans, as it were.

3 comments:

Team Hemphill said...

I'll tell ya, I'd be interested to hear some suggestions as well...

I can't believe you are still getting morning sickness in week 24! How awful!

shannonandforrest said...

My advice:
-Activate your transverse abdominals to help support your growning belly (the bottom of this page has a couple exercises: http://www.befitmom.com/strength_training.html). Your tummy is still going to feel weird, but hopefully not too weird =)
-Craigslist for everything (and I mean everything!) except your carseat (because technically they are supposed to "expire"-- who knew?!)
-Our Ergo baby carrier has been super versatile and I can still use it with a 30lb munchkin
-Consumer Reports rates baby gear! and sells a book that I'm sure you can find on Amazon. It was a great resource for us.
-When in doubt remember that all you need to have to bring Clair home is a carseat and someplace for her to sleep. Most of the other "gear" you can get when you have a little time to gather your wits and figure out what really fits your needs =)

Beth said...

Hi Casey! So excited for y'all and all you have ahead. I've been meaning to comment on this post and it slipped my mind til' now! Funny how after 3 1/2 years I'm already having a hard time remembering what we couldn't live without, but the one thing that still stands out is a Baby Bjorn. Carter lived in that thing...I know the slings are super popular now too, I had one, but we used the Bjorn a lot more. I know it would be a while (as in 6 months or so before she could use it) but I would also recommend the BOB Revolution as a great outdoor/jogging/all purpose stroller. We actually finally just sprang for one and I'm so sorry we didn't just get it way back when...they are awesome. The only other thing that I think is great that they didn't have around when I was nursing was the "Hooter Hider"...those things seem like a life saver if your planning on breast feeding. Last but not least, I don't know where you were registering, but I think it is Babies R Us who has a list that they give you...of course you don't need everything on it, but at least it sort of gives you something to look at and go off of!! I definitely agree with Shannon though, you really don't need anything but a carseat, diapers, clothes and a simple place for her to sleep for a couple of months...you're gonna' have so much fun! :) Since I already wrote you a book I'll go ahead and tell you that we're going to be in C.C. the 12-16th of March...if y'all are around we'd love to do lunch or something!