Thursday, June 25, 2009

Entering the Parent 'Hood

So two weeks after miss Claire Dahlia's birth, I am happy to report that my head is above water. Even without grandparents. I was scared to death of my parents leaving and Los going back to work; but it has gone much better than I thought. Mercifully, Claire sleeps awesome at night, so after my first day solo-parenting; she allowed me 9 (!!!) hours of sleep. In chunks, obviously, but still.. Thank you Jesus! I've been running errands in the afternoon, since Claire isn't so much into her afternoon naps, but a ride in the car or shopping cart/car seat does the trick.

She is becoming quite the porker. After slipping down into the 6lb. range, she gained 2 POUNDS by her two week checkup. That's a 1/3 of her weight, crazy... On the one hand, I'm so happy she's thriving. On the other hand, I'm already getting sad that she's growing so quickly. Before she was born, I used to buy her all these clothes and stare for long periods at her closet, imagining the little girl that would grow into all those outfits. Yesterday, at Target, I bought her a sleeper for a year from now. As I looked at the discrepancy between the NB size, and 12 months size, I got so sad. She's going to get big so soon. My sweet little baby is going to grow up so fast. Now when I look at her closet, I am sad.

All that to say, when 2am and 5am feedings roll around, or she cries, and I am fatigued; I am trying to remember that this season of life is SO SHORT. Before I know it, she won't be nursing; so I should savor the time together... She is so beautiful and so tiny and so soft, and I want to savor this season while it is here; not wish for the next season... How often do we miss the treasures of today, because our sights are set on tomorrow?

Not to paint the picture of perfection, as we've had our low moments the past couple weeks as well, so I'll throw in a fave quote: to a crying Claire, late at night, "I just want you to be happy." Los, "Not me, I just want you to shut up." And to match his humanity, I definitely already dropped an F-bomb. In regards to a two week old. Classy. Low moment. Amazing how someone only 8 pounds can break the will of two grown ups:)

So that's the update for now, pics to follow...

4 comments:

mama said...

When you describe Claire's sweetness I ache to be with her again. 19 more days! I marvel at your astuteness and tenderness in wanting her to be happy in this brief moment of infancy. Sensitivity to her needs, love, trust, safety and stability in this moment will profoundly affect decades of her life. The moment is so very brief. You were just reaching up to the counter to grab that stick of butter, and playing with MyLittlePonies, and dressing up with Whit,and soccering, and checking your email where I'm now sitting...and now you're a mama in another state. Yikes! childhoods zoom by. Treasure every day of Claire's amazing journey through infancy. You're a marvelous mama!

Anonymous said...

Well said Case! I'm glad things are going well. We joked that in the early weeks when Jay's mom stayed with us that we played 3 on 1 defense and she kicked our ass!

I'm glad she's growing and she's healthy as are you guys. I feel the same way about Evie growing so fast. I cried the other day because of it.

Love ya! Post some pictures of the lovely!

Unknown said...

I'm with you Case! As Kylie is already at the 12 month stage...some 18 month pj's!! It saddens me as well as I too look into her closet. Wait until the day you are packing up her drawers/closet of clothes that she has officially outgrown. There's a moment for you. I was in tears that day. You've got it right though...cherish EVERY MOMENT and EVERY SEASON! You're a fab mom I'm sure of it. XOXO! ~Nikki

Beth said...

Sounds like y'all are doing great! I so admire you being able to have the perspective to enjoy and savor the "infancy" period, I was just trying to survive and didn't realize it would be over SO quickly! :) Each stage has it's moments and you are wise to already be concentrating on enjoying the one you are in...way to go Casey!