Sunday, June 7, 2009

Pregnancy Schizophrenia and Tattoos

When I found out I was pregnant, no one told me not to be attached to my due date. So rather than putting my weight down on June 3 or 5, I even went as far as telling myself Claire was coming in May. Then May ended, and I was bummed. For a pretty superficial reason (I wanted her to be able to bring cupcakes to her classroom and to be sang to on her day), but I was bummed nonetheless.

I'm not sure schizophrenia is the proper term, in fact, it probably isn't; but I have felt like I had a split-personality lately. In week 38 I was positive I wanted to induce 10 days early, as early as the doc would let me:) Then Los and I talked and I took that stance back. It felt a little bit like we were trying to play God to pick her birthdate and force it to be early. "Okay, let's wait to her due date to induce," was plan b... However, when we reached that mark, I had started to lean toward letting Claire stay inside as long as she wanted... After all, what if she's small and needed the extra time to grow? We were hoping for an 8 lb. baby, and she certainly wouldn't have been if we'd taken her out early. That is, if the sonographers were right (she was predicted to be right at 7.5 lbs from her bone measurements).

Now at 41 weeks I don't want to be induced, I am not that uncomfortable and don't mind her hanging out inside a bit longer, but now the OB is saying it's time to get the show on the road. Funny how we've switched places from me asking her and her hesitating to me hesitating at her request:)

This is me at 41 weeks preggo. I never thought I would get to this place, but my due date came and went this past week, and apparently my body and Claire have zero interest in parting ways. Unfortunately for both of them, my doctor does have an interest in us parting ways. So since I have not progressed at all and am almost a week past due, we are going to induce TOMORROW. Woah. I am the highest candidate for a c-section possible, so that is a bummer... Let's hope that my body takes to the stuff it is given and progresses tomorrow night and Tuesday!


So this may be the last post- pre our family expanding... We have had a sweet time together, enjoying all these "extra" days before life as we know it changes... We've slept in, been to movies (UP and The Hangover), we've been out to eat multiple times, I got a pedicure (pink!) and massage, we've organized the crap out of our house (all those projects we were saving for "some day" got done), and we've had fun with Burly at the beach, see below. Also, Los took the first step of his long-time goal of inking himself. He took the monogram Joel designed for our wedding and had it put on his heart. When he first told me about wanting a tattoo, I was super anti, but over the years the idea has grown on me to the point that I was as excited as he was. It looks great and I like how meaningful it is.




Whenever Burly thinks we're leaving somewhere and he has to stay behind, he flops down like this and won't move, it is so funny. Sometimes (if it's on carpet) I literally push him with my feet and he stays flopped over like that.


But he LOVES going to the beach, the water is his favorite thing and he loves to run around like a maniac. We have enjoyed sunsets at the beach a lot lately, knowing that we won't get to do that for a little bit once Claire is here.





So wish us luck, pray for us, and we'll see you on the flip side of parenthood! And p.s. yes, it's legal to park on the beach here, everyone does. And yes, I find that very strange. But there's nowhere else to park!

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Yay!!! Tomorrow!! Can't wait to see pictures of precious little Claire. Hopefully you will have a great L & D story to share (I also pray this for my own selfish desires since I'm already scared enough and will have to be induced also)! ;-) p.s. You look fab at 41 weeks!

A, E, e, a said...

You DO look great at 41 weeks and we'll pray tomorrow that the induction goes well, too...hang in there and remember the labor part WILL END sooner than later and your gorgeous baby girl will be the PRIZE! Hope it doesn't end up as C-section for your sake, but if it does, you'll be fine in the long run, too! Love you guys. -E and A

Beth said...

So happy that the time is finally here! I was induced about the same time as you (10 days late) and while everyone has their own stories and ways of giving birth the important thing is you'll soon have a healthy happy baby (on the outside of your body) to know and love! Y'all are going to be such awesome parents. Prayers are going up for you over the next couple of days...an unforgettable and incredible journey! :) Can't wait to hear all about it!

hootenannie said...

Here she COMES! Cannot wait to see her sweet little scrunchy newborn face. :)

And you? Are a beautiful, beautiful pregnant lady.

Case and Los said...

Thanks gals! Keep praying til Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

you are beautiful friend!