Saturday, August 9, 2008

On College Football: Them Southerners Must'a Rubbed Off On Me...

5 years ago I never would have written this blog. 3 years ago this next week, I left Florida and during my time there, somehow, college football seeped into my being, and miraculously, I became a fan. The life-long soccer fan in me feels betrayed by this new part of myself, but it's true. Now I can't WAIT for college football season, which is upon us within weeks. However, I will never be an ardent fan of just one team, that's too limiting to me. Plus I never want our home to be a sports paraphernalia kind of home. No thank you. And since we move around, it is convenient for me to adopt teams at will. Maybe you true blue, bleed-whatever-your-home-team-color-is people will look at me with disdain; but remember, you're dealing with a girl who may or may not also pick my NCAA Basketball brackets by places I like and uniform colors. So there's that...

But here are my self-proclaimed teams that I'm rooting for in my own quiet, non-discriminatory, pan-conference kind of way:

Pac 10- California Bears, no question. If I ever see a Cal hat (in Australia, London, wherever) it is now instinctual to say, "Go Bears!" I am excited if Washington (Los' alumnus) wins too, but let's be honest, when does that happen?
WAC- Fresno State, hometown team. Plus I like saying wiggity Wac.
SEC- Florida, no question. I've been to 5 SEC stadiums, they are ginormous! These are the most zealous, football-is-life fans I've seen. They are an amusing breed. I've seen Gator wedding decorations, birthday cakes, etc. Awesome.
ACC- North Carolina (I have no affiliation, but heart their colors, state, and women's soccer program)
Big East- Syracuse and Connecticut (my mom got her undergrad and Master's there)
Big 12- Texas (our new home, plus I heart burnt orange) and Colorado (I have a thing for Buffaloes and Boulder)
Big 10 (they can't count, it's actually 11)- here's this for unity: Michigan AND Ohio State. What can I say? Great people are BOTH places. Yesterday I was driving with an OSU grad, and I mentioned Michigan in a sentence, as in, "turn left after Michigan," and the guy actually shuttered and said, "Please don't say that word in this car." Amazing. Even though they are sworn enemies, I endorse both:)

Lastly, which doesn't really fall into any particular conference, since my favorite colors are blue and orange, I always like teams that have those colors, such as: Florida, Syracuse, Illinois, Pepperdine, Auburn, who else?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if you're a Denver Broncos fan, too?

Prayed for you tonight - the requests below. Hope you're doing well!

I actually decided to start a blog, too. Figured I should tell you since we talked about it in Greece. Not sure if I'll keep it up, but it's at http://imjustsayingyeahbutstill.wordpress.com/

You rock,
Riggers

Case and Los said...

You bet. Can't wait to read yours and thanks for the prayers:) You rock too!

A, E, e, a said...

I will forgive all your transgressions in this post since you picked FL. You're lucky I may not have fed you in a couple weeks had you picked otherwise.

Case and Los said...

Haha, that's just the Ohioan in you speaking, I should've expected as much! That's okay, we'll sleep in the yard and the Gator Adam can slip us some table scraps:) We can't wait to hug Gus Moseley!

| B e c k | said...

Oh! I forgot to mention Boise State, of course. How could I forget that blue and orange team?

And, as one of those people who bleeds the colors of Seattle sports, I don't look on you with disdain. I would if you had said you liked the Oregon Schmucks, though.