Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Perfect So Cal Day

I am oh so sad that I didn't have a camera to capture today in photos, thus words will have to do. So far, most of my time in Southern California has not been very photogenic, if time can be photogenic.  I went to the hospital, was in school and study groups far too many hours, and have been grimier than normal due to the Pasadena heat/humidity.  I have had a few great meals/conversations with a few great girls, but other than that, not so picturesque until today.

TODAY WAS AMAZING. For a while now, I've wanted to go to the Rose Bowl Flea Market, which is only one Sunday a month. I love the Rose Bowl, it has been home to the Olympics and World Cup, Super Bowls and BCS Championships, lots of history has been made there the past 90 years. The flea market is apparently the biggest in the nation, maybe even world? Before I got Beth as a mother-in-law, I probably never would have had interest in going to a flea market, but it was really awesome. If we'd had more money to spend and a truck, I would've purchased multiple things. All I bought was a tea box, but I wanted some milk cans, a fancy mirror and chairs and 2-3 ft. tall wooden candlesticks. I stayed in the vintage section, but apparently the stuff goes all the way around the football stadium? Intense. The hard core buyers are allowed in at 5am, but normal people go in from 9-3. When I got there before 10, a steady stream of people were in line to enter and many people were already leaving with their bizarre array of goods. A highlight was seeing Anne Hathaway (and maybe Jason Bateman too) shopping. I heard Elijah Wood had been there too, apparently lots of stars go there. Very cool experience.

Then KC showed me some blocks of cute bungalows. Pasadena has great architecture in many neighborhoods, I have loved seeing the houses here. Some friends took me to the Father of the Bride house tonight and hopefully I'll see the 90210 house later this week. It is so weird to be around tv homes/stars, when that's not a part of my reality elsewhere in the country. KC said that Rory from the Gilmore Girls plays on the soccer team KC played against this morning too. I suppose US magazine is right- stars are real people too:)

This afternoon and evening was great as six of us Fuller students/grads spent time in Manhattan Beach. I had yummy blackened fish tacos and we had a good conversation about women in ministry and Reformed Theology, geeky topics I could enjoy talking about for hours- especially while walking in the ocean, as we were:) I love the beach. Not as much as mountains, probably, but I do love it.

Now I am sleepy from the sun and stimulation I got, but I am watching Olympic swimming before going to bed. It was a great day- one week left in So Cal and then home to my love and Puggybear I go!

No comments: