Friday, August 8, 2008

RANT: One state, Two state, Red state, Blue state

I am sick and tired of the liberal-conservative dialectic, stereotypes and polarization. When are we going to get it through our thick skulls that no political party encompasses the heart of God, nor deserves our allegiance if we subscribe to the Lordship of Jesus Christ? No human leader will ever deserve that reverence. Why is Nationalism and being Red or Blue more important to most people than bowing down before God and loving our neighbors near and far?

When I got to L.A. and entered into conversation with people, as soon as they heard I was from Seattle they jumped into how crazy liberal they’ve heard everyone is there. They called people “Demon-crats.” Seriously? I am your sister in Christ, actually; I’m not even affiliated with a party. We have far more in common than not, actually. But okay, go ahead and label, demoncrat it is. Unbelievable. There are Republicans in Seattle too, maybe they are kinder than the So Cal breed?
Continuing with my good times here, I also had an argument with a Baptist-esque woman at dinner tonight about seemingly everything we spoke about… It was all very civilized, but I was groaning within as she packed the world into the “going to hell in a handbasket” box while simultaneously packing America into the “awesome” box. Really?

Examples of her statements:
“Europe is full of heathens.” Actually, the Holy spirit is alive and moving there too.
“College will destroy teens’ faith.” Actually, I’ve been working with college students around the nation who have vibrant faith and are living out Kingdom ethics as God’s hands and feet of change and healing in the world around them.
“We are freeing Iraq from oppression.” Really? Seems like we’re also there for our own interests and attempting to impose western values.
“History books don’t show what men of God the Founding Fathers were.” Really? Seems like many of them were deists at best and worshipped manifest destiny more than God.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE America. I am passionate about my country. But I don’t want to romanticize it and as a Christian, I am equally passionate about all of God’s creation. Part of what I love about God is that rather than the “going to hell in a handbasket” (what does that even mean anyway?!) mentality, I feel like Scripture is full of hope for humanity and the earth. Our stewardship of our lives and our planet can have a direct impact on the Kingdom of God furthering it’s reach. I believe God blesses “the rest of the world too,” not just the USA; and when we arrogantly assume that the world revolves around us (as we consume the food and fossil fuels that the rest of earth could share), we are not making any great friends in the process. If we loved God with all that we are and loved others as we loved ourselves… that would be a novel concept.

No comments: