Thursday, October 2, 2008

Don't pack the dental floss!

Well, after 6 hours today, all our stuff is packed! I thought I was a complete minimalist, but it turns out we had more than we thought in this 1700 square feet of ours... We have less than most people, but will still purge some more when we see our belongings in a month... Who knew I could collect like 50 soaps (we don't even use bar soap!) from hotels everywhere in the world. I'll find a shelter in Texas, or somewhere that people need to take baths. Lots and lots of baths. It's amazing how sneaky little bath products can be as we tuck them under the counter, out of sight. They multiply faster than rabbits!

I realized what we prize, as things were put away. For example, I LOVE dental floss, and had a minor crisis when I realized it might be taken away from me. "STOP!" I cried, to the mullet-adorned packer, who promptly froze in his tracks. Phew, crisis averted... But for the most part, I'm pretty okay with living out of a suitcase/Prius for a month.

So what are the things you can't live without? I'm expecting some creative answers...

4 comments:

hootenannie said...

Fingernail clippers. My little flowered chair. All of my shoes. Washcloths. Some bottles of red wine. The ol' Macbook. All were present in my Honda for The Big Trip, spanning 3 1/2 months and 30 states.

And yeah. Floss, too, come to think of it...

Case and Los said...

Fingernail clippers remind me of nail files, another thing I can't go without (and get ballistic if I have to)! And I'd have to agree about the Mac too!

A, E, e, a said...

Hmmm...Q-TIPS would top my list...love those things! I also have a nail file, ponytail holder, and lip gloss in my (rarely used)purse, diaper bag, and BOTH cars...so I'll never be without. It's always a good idea to have a few safety pins hidden here and there- so many uses. Wow- maybe I'm actually MORE Neurotic than I thought?! Is that possible?

mama said...

After living with me for so many years you're aware (to your consternation) how little materialistic stuff matters. If I had to suddenly scram, I think all I'd really need would be M&M, cell phone and a w-h-o-l-e bunch of bagels. Travel safe, and I'll hug you in person in less than a week! xoxo