Monday, October 27, 2008

Awkward Change

I never finished posts about our trip across the country.  My goal is to do that today, but so far I have been in a funk, no kidding, since we crossed the Texas border line.  Reality set in that we weren't just on an epic 3,000 mile roadtrip.  No, no, we were moving to this new foreign land that quite frankly has nothing on the west coast in terms of beauty.  I grew up right by the Sierras and Yosemite, then in college moved to a place that is gorgeous with water and mountains (albeit rainy) daily.  Moving to a land of hot, dusty brown flat terrain is less than ideal.  My heart sunk as this reality set in, and I felt deep within me the need to cry it out.  Like full on sob, grieving what I lose (not only natural beauty, but deep friendships and closeness to at least one set of family) in moving here.  I have tried on multiple occasions the past week to cry, but tears won't come, so thus far I just feel stuck in sadness, loneliness and depression.

Needless to say, it's been a brutal transition, and that's not easy for me to admit or write about.  I want to be the positive adventure gal that is fired up about everything.  Instead I feel like the Psalmist lamenting in misery to God.  I have been sleeping a lot, and emotionally down when I'm awake.  I'm trying to make choices to exercise (walking the beach, etc. which is pretty cool) and eat well, and to reframe life.  I don't want to stay stuck in my self-induced pity party.  But at least for my first week here, that's where I've been.

Life is just going to look very different here.  Slow.  Which feels unfamiliar after the past 3 years of graduate school and traveling like crazy, and having tons of people to spend quality time with.  I have felt purposeless here, which is an awful feeling.  And untrue- we aren't purposeful because of what we can check off of our to-do lists.  We are purposeful because God delights in us and chooses to make himself known through us.

I think this second week will look better than the first.  There are still so many question marks...  the economy going down took away my potential job as a hospital chaplain, so now I've been interviewing at churches here.  There are some interesting options, but nowhere that's the obvious fit.  We get our new house and all our stuff back this Sunday/next Monday, which will be a treat, to have our own space, after living in other people's space out of suitcases for the past month.  I will meet with an infertility doc to talk about our options to become parents, and slowly some of our question marks will be erased.  

In all of this, I am grateful for Los, who's been such a servant to me, and an encourager when I've felt constantly down.  I love him so much for knowing exactly how to be my best friend and strong when I feel massively weak.  I know that God will do a new thing in our lives individually and as a couple in this new season, so here's to having no idea what the future looks like!  Please pray for me:)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the true confessions Case. It's good to know where your heart is at, and I think for many people who have relocated their lives at one point, it resonates, those feelings of displacement and loneliness. You are loved and we are praying for this time in the Evan's journey!

hootenannie said...

Definitely praying for you. Moving is a bitch, and it throws us for a loop. Keep moving forward - even if all that means is a walk each day, or making a list of 3 things to get done and crossing them off, or having a conversation at the grocery with a stranger. It's funny what can serve as a lifeline when everything feels unstable.

I'm glad you and Los have each other. Hang in there... and if all else fails, you know that you can surf the internet all day - LIKE ME! :)

Team Hemphill said...

I have totally felt exactly what you are going through. It's hard, but trust the Lord--he'll bring you out of this. And know that there are people who care about you praying for you both during this difficult transition. We're also only a phone call away :-)

Beth said...

I get into that "moving funk" every time we wind up somewhere new! I can only imagine the culture shock Corpus brings for you, definitely a whole new world in every aspect! I hope each day ahead is a littl better than the one before...

Anonymous said...

Casey,

Thanks for your honesty. As someone who's transition many times, including a few in the past year - I know many of those emotions you are sharing. Be faithful. Be strong.

I'm glad to know how I can be praying for you. I also know from experience that it feels a little better once you can set up shop in your own home again with your things - there's just something about it!

The Midwest isn't so exciting after Seattle either, but I'm learning daily to appreciate the beauty that it has to offer...even if it's different than before!

Keep pressin' on!

mama said...

Hey, my LittleLady, my heart is with you. When I first drove out to CA I felt similarly, and dealt with the sense that I was on a foreign planet by remembering why I was there and trusting that this lonely chapter would in the grand scheme of my life be productive and right. Though I've missed real seasons in my bones for 34 yrs, there's been more gratification through family, friends and career. You're an amazing person, and home, career and pregnancy will all be resolved with patience, faith and love. Please remember the Third Most Important Thing :-)

Case and Los said...

Thanks for all your kind words and your humor and prayers, Lord knows I could use it!

shannonandforrest said...

While I could make a very long list of the cons of Tx (don't hate me, you lone star natives) I'm not sure that would be helpful. Maybe you could make that list instead, it could be cathartic. Anyway:

Good things about TX:
1. Incredible mexican food on every corner, yum!
2. Puedes hablar espanol cuando quieres!
3. John Kerry has windsurfed in Corpus!
4. If you decide to sue someone, you will be in good company because Corpus is in one of the most litigous counties in the nation!
5. SPID. I used to hate that whole elevated highway plan, but it works so well in comparison to other ways!
6. In the same vein, Texas-friendly driving!
7. HEB! Yes, it sounds like a VD, but can you watch tortillas being made at a VD? I don't think so!
8. 15 types of peppers at the HEB!
9. Lots of interesting jellyfish to see on the beach =)
10. Rodeos! Those bull riders are certifiable, I'm not kidding. But I'm not above being entertained by other people putting themselves in harm's way =)

We love you Casey Mo, and are so thankful for you. You can do this.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you- I hate moving...hang in there

Case and Los said...

shan, you're hilarious, kate, word!