Friday, November 14, 2008

Drama Drama Drama

Long time, no blog. So, every time I've tried to write, my browser has shut down. I don't know if we have some kind of random virus, but other applications (iTunes, Word, Excel) have also been shutting down intermittently, and I can't even download Firefox, so I don't know what's up with our computer. I'm taking it to the Genius Bar in San Antonio tomorrow. We're going there for the 1/2 Marathon that I'm supposedly walking on Sunday... We'll see about that! The good news is my mom said she'd buy me a new MacBook for an early Christmas gift, thanks mom!!! That's a huge relief to our financial woes. That's about the only good news I have to share today, everything else from the past week has been rough, to say the least.

1. We moved into our beautiful new home, and promptly found there to be NO REFRIGERATOR! Um, what? The owners moving out conveniently forgot to disclose that in their contract... Luckily we have a 'beer fridge' aka mini fridge that we were able to use while we scrambled to go buy a new one. We were incensed, and when Los diplomatically confronted the lady about reimbursing us for the expense, or providing a new one, she basically said, "nope, screw you." She also took the fire extinguisher and the shower rod from the guest bath. Really? Who does that? So, we didn't start off on the right foot, per se. And it was pretty funny that as soon as we pulled up to the house with Burly (his first time seeing it), he got out and started puking all over the place. There was my sign.

2. Then Los left, and went to Houston for the week, for a class. Burly and I supervised the movers the next day, who revealed that multiple pieces of our furniture had been broken from the move. Great. So I have that to deal with. Also, they forgot to set up the washer/dryer all the way, so the first time I turned it on, water flooded the utility room. AUGH! Good thing we have fancy Italian tile that was easy enough to sop up.

3. And maybe worst, is when I got my car, which had been shipped across the country, there was shattered glass across the entire back! I'm still finding glass. The back window was bashed in, and replaced, but the driver won't admit to it! So we're super frustrated about that situation. And we don't know whether anything was stolen or not, but insurance doesn't seem to want to help us, since the window was replaced...

4. In my first week living here, I saw an albino gecko (way too close, on my front porch) and Los said he saw a (1 foot long, but still) SNAKE in our driveway... So that puts me on edge every time I go outside. A little different than Seattle.

Despite all our drama, some good stuff has happened. I went to Houston for 2 nights, and had a great time there. I'm realizing that if I want to succeed in living the "slow" beach life here for 3 years, I just have to know I can drive to culture elsewhere. I got my hair chopped off (shortest ever) in Houston, which was a treat. And our house is slowly being put together and is very livable. Kiesha told us that the Vienna Boys' Choir was in town, so we saw them Tuesday, and they were amazing as always. Los finally started work (after an awesome month off) yesterday, and we're headed north tomorrow morning, so things are a-movin. With all that's been happening the past month, I'm not what you would call trained for this 1/2 marathon, though; so Sunday should be interesting... Talk with you soon (hopefully)

7 comments:

Molly said...

Casey, I am so sorry that moving has been so rough! That is my biggest fear of moving so much with the Navy. I hope that life starts to settle down a bit and you and los begin to enjoy TX. There is a great oyster bar downtown in Corpus and definitely go see a Hooks baseball game! We are thinking of you all!
-Molly Vaughn

shannonandforrest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shannonandforrest said...

Good luck tomorrow girl! What a great way to see San Antonio! And, if it makes you feel any better, since you live on a golf course and not out in the desert, it was almost definitely a garter snake on your driveway. Smelly, yes, but dangerous? Not at all. Love you!

mama said...

Burly's uncles and I shall do the 1/2 marathon with you. We'll just be in another state and won't go the entire 13.1 miles, but we'll love and support you the entire way. Walking is a glorious way to explore a new town, fuel yourself with the spirit of fellow explorers, and allow yourself lifetime pride for one morning of determination. Yea Casey!

A, E, e, a said...

Casey... sorry it was a rough move-in process! Unfortunately, we've had broken furniture with all 3 NAVY moves and our new house didn't have a fridge when we showed up, either! Hang in there. This is all part of the adventure, right!?! You'll get past it just fine and you'll be thankful for all kinds of new things once the dust settles. We love you guys.

Case and Los said...

thanks everyone!

Joanna Roddy said...

Ug, what a nightmare. So did you guys buy a different house, or is this the one that you initially wanted to buy, but ended up renting??

At least now the possibilities for the unexpected are dwindling as you settle in.

Post pics of the haircut!

Love, Joey