Monday, September 8, 2008

My Iron Man- the Birthday Boy

I have the world's best husband. Today is his birthday, and we are once again the same age. This is my favorite half of the year, until I sneak ahead of him in March.

Yesterday Los completed his first triathlon, Escape from the Rock in Mercer Island. I have been to more marathons/races than I can count, but THIS was exhilarating. Los is one of those people that people like me like to hate, naturally gifted at almost everything physical. For example: the first 1/2 Marathon he ever ran, he trained maybe two weeks for... and he finished it in an hour and a half! Who does that?! Now he's training for his first marathon, and he's hoping to get a 3:10, to qualify for Boston Marathon. ON HIS FIRST TRY. Again, who does that? He does.

So yesterday, he was kind of nervous going in to his first Tri. No need to be, as he placed 77th of 700+ contestants. When we left over an hour after he finished, people were still finishing! Even with entering the water at the back of his swimming heat and having really slow transition times (the winner took less than 5 seconds to get off his bike and put on his shoes!!!), Los finished in 1:10! That's 16 miles in 70 minutes= amazing! He was running sub-7 minute miles and said he wasn't even trying hard, who says that?! He's gonna shoot to break an hour next time= crazy! And his eventual goal is to do the Kona Ironman (the "Superbowl" of Triathlons) in Hawai'i- which is a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile marathon! Just typing that exhausts me:) I just found out that a guy in the Navy invented the Ironman, as a competition for Navy Seals to see who was the fittest athlete alive. It has grown in the past 3 decades into an international competition, pretty awesome. After yesterday, I'm hooked!

We were so excited all day yesterday and today, talking about his race, and looking forward to the San Antonio Rock and Roll Marathon that we're going to do. It feels good for me to have a goal of completing the half (some friends of ours are doing it also) and he has wanted to complete a full for a while now. It's 9 weeks away, I think, and we're fired up! I joined an online trainer that has been really helpful for me, and have been dragging Burly along on all my training. I am not exaggerating when I say dragging, on today's 40- minute jaunt, he tried to/laid down in the shade approximately 10 times! We are both going to get more fit in this season:)

Tonight, Los and I went down the street to the brand new LuLu Lemon outlet (the only one in the States!! It has all their awesome clothing for less money, awesome!) to buy some sweet athletic gear. Motivated by our victories and aspirations, we then promptly went to Wendy's, and got Frosty's and fries. Oh well, you win some, you lose some:)

5 comments:

Beth said...

Happy Birthday Carlos! Sounds like you have the potential to be to the triathalon world what Michael Phelps is to swimming! I think it's so great that ya'll are going to be running in San Antonio. It's always fun to have a goal that you are "working out" for! Way to Go!! p.s. it sounds like you totally earned the frosties :)

mama said...

YOWEEKAZOWEE, Carlos, congratulations!!!! It'll be an honor to cheer you on in San Antonio :-)

Case and Los said...

Yeah, he is Michael Phelps-ish, unbelievable to me! We're looking forward to the big run in TX! How far is that from your hometown?

Anonymous said...

Hello Casey! Thanks for your comments! It is good to hear form you. I am starting to read through all of the posts I missed on my hiatus from online life.

Moving to TX, huh? Dallas? My sister is married and lives there now..did you know that? I want to hook you guys up if you are moving to that area. She's in need of some deep friends!

I just posted some new photos of my Cohen..he's so big! I remember you said you were thinking of adding a babe to the fam, any news on that?

Miss you girl! I know Texas is hot and muggy, but I might actually have a chance of seeing you again soon now!

Case and Los said...

That would be fun Kate, I'll email you more on gmail!