Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Our So-Called Life: Whirlwind Edition

So the winds of change are a-blowin' with hurricane force! Here are updates:

#1- OUR HOUSE SOLD! Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!! In this horrible buyers market, we were really nervous (read: I was really nervous) that I'd be stuck here until winter, with Los having to go ahead of me to TX. The market here has 10 months SOLID of inventory, our agent said she's only selling 3 houses a month!!! Compare this to 2005, when we bought: she closed on a house every other day! She said she took no days off, didn't vacation that year at all, and buyers were running around like mad. The day Los found our house, he was the first of 3 or 4 offers on the FIRST DAY it was on the market! Crazy... NOW the average house is taking 6 months to sell, and those are good houses, not crappy ones...

So the fact that our beautiful home took LESS than a month to get TWO offers, and for us to settle on a buyer and contract is nothing short of a providential miracle! I am oh so grateful, as it makes our move to TX right on time (as we thought out months ago), which NEVER happens! Our next door neighbors have been Geo-bacheloring from VA for 4 months so far with no end in sight, b/c getting out of their house is tricky, our other next door neighbors have put their house on the market TWICE in 3 years, with no luck, and are relocating to CA. Los' brother's house has been on the market in Seattle for 5 months while he's been in NY, and dropped $80,000 and still no offers, another friend's home just took 11 months to sell, so... WOW. I feel really blessed that this worked out so perfectly for us! We didn't make money, as we'd hoped to, but our peace of mind is priceless, as we don't know if we'll ever return to the northwest, and selling just made sense. Is my relief palpable to you?!

#2- WE GOT THE GOLF COURSE HOUSE IN TX! The link I posted this past month was to a slideshow of our fave house in TX (gorgeous custom home on the course: 3 bed/2 bath and amazing features everywhere- like the built-in 48 bottle wine cooler and gargantuan master closet, all of our clothes could fit in 1/6 of it!) We are so excited the owners picked us, when the realtor showed us around, it was by far our fave! We'll have wonderful neighbors (they gather once a month for wine/hors d'ouerves) and it's super safe/peaceful/gated community). After living near I-5 (I am such a light sleeper) I can't WAIT for our home to be somewhere SO QUIET!

So all this means...
#3- WE MOVE TO TX IN 3 WEEKS FROM TODAY! I can hardly believe it, even as I type this! It went from such ambiguity (will our house ever sell?) to GAME ON! So we're having a GOING AWAY PARTY THIS WEEKEND if you want to come? We'll be in Seattle trying to connect with people, and for Los' next race; and at home next weekend, when I may sky-dive with friends. The following weekend we have Kendall's wedding and then I'm going up to Canada to see JJ/Lisa and volunteer at Passion's World Tour stop in Vancouver. That will be fun, even though it means I won't sleep at our own home the last 2 nights we're in it. I'll drive back from Canada Tuesday morn and then we'll be off!

Our probable itinerary is as follows:
Tuesday 10/7- Lake Oswego, OR: playing with the Bishop's and buying stuff where there's no sales tax (can I say Apple store, with my 10% student/military discount?! Boo yah...)
Wednesday 10/8- Redwoods National Forest, CA
Thursday 10/9- Napa, CA and playing with the Flory's
Friday 10/10- Berkeley (maybe?) or Central Coast (SLO/ my parents' house in Los Osos)
Saturday 10/11- Fresno for my mom's 60th bday, woo hoo! Also FSU football tailgating and game with fam, fun!
Sunday 10/12-Flagstaff, AZ (or maybe Vegas, but probs not)
Monday 10/13- GRAND CANYON: we've never been, can't wait to hike around!
Tuesday 10/14- Santa Fe, NM (one of US' coolest, most unique cities, love it!)
Wednesay 10/15- Dallas and Austin, TX (we heart Austin, it's so awesome)
Thursday 10/16- shop and look at furniture (since we're selling ours on Craigslist for the most part)
Friday 10/17- arrive at the beach and new home. We're staying with some friends on the Island for 2 weeks until we can move into our new fab house on 11/2!

Many pics to come in the month to follow! Stay tuned to the life and times of the Evans adventures:)

9 comments:

Beth said...

I am SO happy for you!!! As much time as we have to spend away from our husbands I hate the thought of you and Los being apart because of a house! YEA!!! I know we haven't gotten to spend as much time together as I would have liked up here (amazing how that forty-five minutes does that), but, you have been like a ray of sunshine everytime I've had the chance to be around you! Thanks so much for making VQ-1 a brighter place for me. I'm telling you all this because we will unfortunately not be there on Fri. We're seizing the opportunity for a little family vacation while Nate can get leave! I'm sorry will miss out on farewelling ya'll...but with his dad in Corpus I know our paths will cross soon! And, hooray for blogs! :)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so so so glad you don't have to stay behind while Los moves on. From one wife who knows about being alone to another, I am thrilled that you guys will get to transition to your new home together.

hootenannie said...

SO exciting, Casey! I'm so happy that everything has fallen into place - it must feel like confirmation that this is a good move. I can't wait to see what TX holds for you!

And hello: YES, Miranda and I will come see you! I'm out of money and "trip time" until after Christmas, and then my priorities #1 and #2 are Seattle and Boston. But after that... I would love it. :)

Team Hemphill said...

Praise the Lord! That is just so wonderful, the Lord provides!
Here's the thing though, you can't really leave until we see you!!! Please?!?!

Anonymous said...

WHOOHOO!!! So excited for you two!! :) Enjoy all your travels (as I'm sure you will)!!!

Case and Los said...

Beth and Libby, thanks! Hope to see you again some time!

Kate- word! Come down and play with me and Beth in our new home:)

AP- Looking forward to next Nov, and you and Miranda!!!

Luke and Maggie- yes, let's hang this weekend, I'll FB you!

A, E, e, a said...

YAY for all your good news! Congrats- what a blessing that the house sold- totally God b/c that's so not normal these days! Love you guys...enjoy your last few weeks in the wonderful Pacific NW!

Anonymous said...

I am BRIMMING over with *happiness* while reading your blog entry! Yay! Yay! Yay! So happy for you guys!

Case and Los said...

Thanks guys, we are pumped too:) We're soaking in our last days of fall here (I'm wearing a down vest just b/c I can!) before we move to the hot south:)