Thursday, May 1, 2008

Food for Thought: CSA and Urban Sprawl

Today I read an awesome article about Dog Mountain Farm, a local place that supplies Canlis (one of Seattle's nicest restaurants) and other places. From May-September, for $75/person, they have a monthly dinner served by top chefs, on their farm. It's four hours long, with a tour of the property and wine pairings with the courses. That sounds so fun to me...

and it got me thinking whether or not I wanted to join a CSA for a half-share this spring-fall. I do want to grow our own vegetables, but I like the idea of supporting local organic farms too. We've been eating a lot more vegetables recently and both of us notice the difference we feel in health and energy. I know you readers are all around the country, but here's a shameless plug to check out Local Harvest, an awesome website that tells you about potential farms, farmer's markets, grocery stores and restaurants with locally grown produce. Not only is it healthy for you (read the NY Times article that's their top hit right now), but it also supports your community and healthy practices for our land.

I was reading a farm's website from my hometown in CA this evening and found this portion about urban sprawl to be disconcerting. Check this link out. Yikes.

Just some food for thought:)

No comments: