Monday, January 7, 2008

Channeling John Calvin

Last summer I went to some of the major sites of the Protestant Reformation, including John Calvin’s church and grave in Geneva, Switzerland. Maybe this seems boring or dorky to you, but I love the history of our faith and am captivated by some of the brave members of our ecclesial family from the past. I didn’t realize how much I might need their help and knowledge until this week. Less than three weeks from now I will be attempting to take my Presbyterian Ordination exams in ‘theology,’ ‘polity’ and ‘worship and sacraments.’ Life is tremendously busy for us right now (beyond school and the hospital, plus friends and family) which I’ll write about next, but this blog is to ask for prayer for those exams. Most people who take them study a lot and take courses to prep them on the various parts they entail; yeah, I’ve done neither…

So I’m going to try to learn as much as I can in 3 weeks before the 9 hours of testing is upon me, but I would appreciate any prayer I can get. The exams cost $70 each, and let’s be honest, I really don’t want to pay to take them again. Also, we may be moving before they are offered again, another reason I feel pressure to pass them. I hope that they end up feeling like a blessing to me, as the two I’ve already passed did (the Bible Content Exam and the Biblical Exegesis Exam). Please pray that I can focus on and take in the material I need to know, and articulate it in a coherent and witty way on the 25th-26th of this month. Muchas gracias.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Huge prayers are percolating in Fresno for you to wow your examiners and glorify in the relief of passing. I'll be with you in spirit through your studying and presentations on the 25th-26th. xo!