Saturday, January 12, 2008

Dogs-Part One: What the Crap!

Okay, so like most parents, I generally think my baby is perfect. Since we have no human babies (yet- more on the ‘Baby in ‘08 campaign’ later), our dog Burly is our baby for now… And we generally think he is the best thing ever, short of walking on water. He doesn’t have a mean bone in his body, he plays with people of all ages and stays by me when we walk anywhere… He’s fun to play with, but could sleep all day too, my kind of guy. I’ll be honest, I have often called him the best dog on the planet. He’s portable, he’s sweet, and could do no wrong. Even when we went to Australia and our friend Kirsty called Burly the stealth-pooper, I didn’t believe it. In one ear, and out the other. It must have been because they weren’t taking him out enough, I thought; it couldn’t possibly be Burly’s fault!

That was my opinion until this past month. That’s when he decided to start pooping in our house. Now, potty training ceased a year ago, and he’s been able to ‘hold it’ for a long time… But apparently our formal dining room now looks like the grass outside. I wish I could say it is an honest mistake- that I too, sometimes take my dinner outside and am disoriented when I don’t see the Thomasville table and chairs. But that’s not the case…

I don’t understand why, all of a sudden, that is the room of choice for these surprise poops. That’s our nicest room. Is it the crown molding? The chandolier? The South American silver candelabras? Does he just have that good of taste? About once a week, we find the surprise poops and are so aggravated. Yet he doesn’t seem to care that we are upset, this is like a game for him. Not good puggybear, not good. So anyone with wisdom or practical advice for poop-avoidance, please shed some light on our situation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Kaia started the same thing... well, pooping in the garage. We think its because she's bored. She was good for SO long, then suddenly she's been "regressing" and doing things a puppy would do. (i.e. chewing on our furniture, whining, and digging under the back fence to escape and swipe some cat food from the neighbors behind us). But when we exercise her she gets better. It's not tue for all dogs, but for ours, I think she just needs more attention and movement. Especially here in Portland... All the rain and stuff. Hope that helps!! Love reading about your life!! BIG HUGS.

Case and Los said...

I bet that would help... with all the rain, he has been gettin fewer walks that summer/fall.... Hmmm... I like you. Do you guys have a blog? How is life?

Anonymous said...

Ha! Yes we do have a blog. It's at www.pinsandpints.com. We're still tweeking the fine points, but the basic stuff is up there.

I love reading your blog. You write beautifully and I always seem to walk away chuckling.

Perhaps we can meet up one of these days. We are so close... :)