Thursday, July 10, 2008

Animal Vegetable Miracle


So Los and I have a tradition that when we go on international flights, we each get to buy a book. For South America, I went for Emily Giffin's delectable chick lit, but when it came time to make my choice this go-round, none of the light reads were speaking to me. Multiple friends in different contexts, have recommended Kingsolver's new non-fiction book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle to me, so I went for it. Needless to say, it is quite inspiring, troubling and convicting. I wish everyone I know could read it so that I could talk to ya'll about it and see what you think. Clearly, not everyone will take the same tack as she has, but the book certainly offers a lot of food for thought (pun intended). Many Americans are hurried and mindless about what they put into their bodies and how that impacts themselves and the world around them, myself included. Often times good food costs more than what is cheap, and isn't instantly available, unfortunately, factors that determine our buying habits. I'm only a quarter of the way through the book, and already my head has been spinning with intrigue, outrage, sadness and motivation. I would love to hear any of your reactions to the book if you decide to pick it up!

3 comments:

Peg said...

I loved this book - great thoughts. I highly recommend Omnivore's Dilemma as well - nice companion to Kingsolver. One thing that Pollan says - don't buy fuel for your body at the same place you buy fuel for your car! Especially appropriate in summer when we take road trips! :)
Peg

Anonymous said...

I am half-way through the book and love it! It's made me think as a High School Foods Teacher, as a consumer, and as a Christian. I still haven't fully processed how my reactions from her book will turn into action in my personal life, but I'm at least thinking!

Case and Los said...

P- I definitely want to read the (Cal Bear) Pollan book!

J- Me too, let's talk more after we're done!