Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Philippi and Lydia

There are only so many ruins you can see in one trip, if you know what I'm saying. I had hoped that I would have some special interaction with God at Ephesus, Philippi or Corinth, but for whatever reason (100 degree temperatures, ants, distraction...) I didn't. They were special places to see, but nothing I saw was life-changing. What they did do, however, was put what I read on a page into context; and for that I'm grateful. Some people are primarily cerebral learners, and wouldn't gain from going to a place. I, on the other hand, am a very spatial and kinesthetic, I have written before about how BEING in a place, and engaging my 5 senses, tremendously helps paint a picture of what was going on.

Here we are at the ampitheater in Philippi.

Byron is a Seattle Opera singer, and performed a piece from the marriage of Figaro for us:)

An ancient basilica

potential prison where Paul was

Agora

Ancient strip mall (the shops of the Agora)


Men using the ancient bathroom


In Lydia, named after Europe's first Christian convert, a WOMAN. This is the river where she was baptized. There is a church erected there, just for baptism purposes. We went in there for a little while, the cool air was refreshing, and the acoustics were so good that we had an impromptu singing session...

No comments: