Thursday, July 31, 2008

Revisiting the Bucket List

I will do this a couple times a year, I think, to keep reminding myself of these goals. Los just wrote his, so we'll put that on here as well.

1. Be on all seven continents (2 left: Africa-2010, Antarctica?)
2. Own an orange cat named L. Tigre (we can call him Teegs)
3. Be published (book, magazine, newspaper, etc.)
4. Live off 70% of our income, save 10%, invest 10% and tithe 10%
5. Go to Charleston, SC (where my dad’s fam came to the US in 1703)- this month!
6. Be healthy (which probably means losing weight)
7. Go to Auschwitz and weep
8. Actually stand up on a surfboard and ride a wave in
9. Own a horse (or have regular access to one)
10. Work at a (plant) nursery like my fave Christianson’s
11. Sell one of my paintings
12. Finish out my last 5 of our glorious 50 states
11. Adopt a child from another place
12. Develop a good wine collection and learn way more about the appellations around me and around the world. I bought a great book and am learning...
13. Run a half-marathon with my husband
14. Cheer him on while he runs the NYC and/or Boston Marathon
15. Live close to family and good friends
16. Believe in myself (consistently)
17. Preach sermons in churches around the country/world with confidence
18. Finish a Ph.D. or D.Min
19. Get good at tennis (my forehand is weak)
20. Be able to flip-turn when I swim
2
1. Grow and eat our own veggies all summer like my dad does
22. Learn how to can them for winter like Los’ relatives do- I think that would be fun to do with kids
23. Learn how to knit and make my own beanies/scarves
24. Do a rafting and houseboating trip on Lake Powell and in the Grand Canyon, AZ
25. Become a good cook
26. Drive from Chicago up to Mackinac Island, MI and kayak
27. Teach our kids to develop a habit of gratitude (and make cute handmaid thank you cards for gifts)
28. Have a fountain in our backyard
29. Ski Killington, VT, and/or Jackson Hole, WY (the only 2 good states I haven’t skied)
30. Frame our kids artwork in our home
31. Go to Alaska and climb a mountain (preferably not Mt. McKinley, I’m thinking small, more like a hill…)
32. While I’m there, maybe I can go dog-sledding too
33. Go to Hawaii to snorkel, or ride a bike down a volcano, whatev.
34. Be in a book club
35. Hear the Newport Jazz Festival in Rhode Island
36. Become a Master Gardener
37. Explore Maine in the summer
38. Learn how to be a better DIY-er (laying hardwood, tile, molding, etc.)
39. Have a second home at the beach (Los Osos, probs) or in the mountains in CA (Mammoth, my heart)
40. Go to Israel, Palestine and other Biblical sites- Greece/Turkey counts!
41. complete a triathlon, probably just the sprint distance one (I only like swimming in warm pools, not oceans/lakes)
42. Go to a college football game in the South (at Texas, or Florida preferably, who along with Cal are my adopted teams)- this fall??
43. Learn more about history (local, national and world)- been working on this
44. Host an exchange student
45. Build a pergola
46. Have a clean house
47. Buy our first tv (with DVR)
48. Have more rituals
49. Organize my library by topic
50. Have a library I’m proud of (and have read)
51. Become more ‘Green’
52. Buy the world’s most comfortable couch
53. Amass furniture that isn’t hand-me-down
54. Have a big tub in the master bath (TMI, perhaps)
55. Get a nice camera and learn more about photography so we can capture our adventures more artistically like Joel
56. Paint a big canvas with our kids
57. Go to a soccer game (football match) in Europe
58. Attend a Puccini opera
59. Get SCUBA certification and go to as many reefs as possible
60. Own kayaks or maybe a sailboat
61. See a manatee up close
62. Go to a Dodgers baseball game with my dad
63. Train my dog not to think he’s the center of the universe (or train myself to think that)

64. Go skydiving
65. Ride a Vespa somewhere scenic- ATV's in Mykonos counts

66. Own a Bernese Mountain Dog, or a French Bulldog, or both
67. Exercise regularly
68. Have a flower ‘cutting’ garden to have fresh flowers in the house all spring/summer/fall
69. Cruise from Singapore to Dubai or China
70. On the way, eat Indian food in India
71. Buy some brilliant fabric in India to make pillowcases with
72. Learn how to sew (first step, get a sewing machine, or at least a needle/thread)
73. Have an instant hot water faucet on our sink
74. Live somewhere warm enough that we can grill/eat outside at least half the year
75. Have an ‘outdoor living room’
76. Sell, donate or give away everything we don’t really want in our home
77. Let everything in our home tell a story (e.g. we got these candelabras in Buenos Aires at the San Telmo Antiques Market)
78. Learn how to be more lavish (with self and others)
79. Ski black diamonds confidently
80. Build community with neighbors everywhere we move
81. Play card games (and other games) as a family
82. Use alternative gift markets at Christmas
83. Practice yoga and/or pilates regularly
84. Officiate weddings
85. Officiate funerals
86. Be as good of parents as the Cummins’ are to their girls
87. Try Zorbing
88. Go to Thai beaches and eat Thai food in Thailand
89. Learn how to dance with abandon (without feeling awkward)
90. Find the perfect haircut for my crazy curly hair
91. Memorize a book in the Bible (I’ve seen it done)
92. Go hiking and camping
93. Teach our kids to engage the culture and change the world
94. Learn about Judaism and Jewish Festivals
95. Know my geneology and have my family’s/Los’ family history written down
96. Get heirloom jewelry and china from people in our family
97. Do a polar bear plunge (just once)
98. Get a tattoo with Los (in solidarity with C and J)
99. Make good memories
100. Help others live fully while they’re alive and make friends with death, it is not the enemy, and it is not victorious.

1 comment:

A, E, e, a said...

HEy! Congrats on the new "accomplishments"...can't you cross out #18 now, too!?