Sunday, March 16, 2008

It Just Keeps Getting Better

When I was in high school, I literally hoped I would die when I was 23. Isn’t that weird, I hoped that for years! I thought what could be better than youth and the college years?! It is all downhill after that, responsibility and such- no thanks, just give me the fun and then take me away to the pearly gates (just kidding, I don’t actually believe there are said gates in heaven).

As I turn 29 today, I am so thankful it wasn’t God’s time for me to make my grand exit when I was 23- life just keeps getting better and better, I wouldn’t want to miss it.
Since I’m on a roll with numbers from my previous blog, a quick recap of the past/best decade of my life (to this point)…

18- I left home in CA and moved to gorgeous Seattle where I made life-long friends at my university and church
19- I went to Kyrgyzstan for the summer and learned from being stripped of everything I knew, to find my identity in Christ alone.
20- I switched my majors to something more up my alley (I would have been miserable in Pre-Dentistry, I suck at sciences) and went to Europe for the first time with good friends
21- I did summer staff at a Young Life camp in CO, and learned what godly families could look like for the first time. I also began reconciling my relationship with my dad after feeling bitterness for 14 years. Major healing.
22- I first felt called to vocational ministry and met my husband!
23- I lived in Berkeley and fell in love with life at it’s fullest- I now want nothing less.
24- I began graduate school at Fuller in Menlo Park
25- I moved to Florida, another amazing season of life, where I learned how different cultures within our country can be! And we went to Europe to ski and got engaged in the Chartres Cathedral, France.
26- We moved across the country again, got married, bought a house and I resumed grad. School
27- We got little Burlington Philippe Evans, the world’s best dog
28- Went to Australia, Europe and South America, and I worked as a chaplain at the hospital, which was a very transformative time of examination of self for me

I can only smile as I anticipate what 29 has in store… Greece/Turkey, graduation (potentially my last ever- though I constantly think of PhD fodder), another move, maybe a pregnancy? I can’t wait! Life just keeps getting better… I am grateful.

5 comments:

mama said...

I've been MOST grateful that you didn't die at 23 because you wouldn't've experienced the gloriousness in life that you're now experiencing, and because I certainly wouldn't've made it to 93 if I lost you. !HAPPYBIRTHDAY! precious Casey xo

Anonymous said...

Happy late birthday! I still have you on my calendar! Ha! Hope you have a great one and boy you have had a wonderful life. I'm so jealous of all your travel. Hey if you can, can you send me your mailing address. I want to send you an invite. I completely understand if you can't make it, but i want to be sure to invite you. You are really the only one I talk to out of high school.

Love you much! Happy Birthday!

Case and Los said...

Beck, you're so sweet, I still remember you ever April 19th as well:) I'll send you our address! Your wedding date is on the side of our fridge to remind me to pray for you guys.

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey! We'll see if this works. Happy birthday, girl! I loved your synopsis of your 20's. That was my favorite decade thus far as I had time for multiple adventures. Hoping for lots more even in my 50'/60's. I'm loving a break from CPE although I miss the patients and our get-togethers. Michael called the other day needing an IPR time :-) It would be nice to gather at the Ferndale Cathedral aka Frank-N-Stein Pub and Brewery, with our CPE gang. I'll browse more of your blog now. Love, Deb

hootenannie said...

This is a few days late, although I read it on the day and sent good ju-ju your way. The thing about having all of my blogs in Google Reader is that I read them all in one long list, and don't take the time to RESPOND. And I'm trying to get back on the bandwagon of blog comments. :)

I, for one, am so glad that the past year has included, what shall we call it, an INTERNET RELATIONSHIP between you and me! You are full of life and substance and humor and grace, and it is an absolute joy to have a window into your world.

May your coming year beat out all the rest - the hottest year so far!