Tuesday, April 15, 2008

“I Want the Red Ones.”

Humor from the grocery store…

The girl in front of the line looks about 15, puts her 2 items down and says to the cashier, “Oh, and I want a pack of cigarettes.”

“Which kind?”

“Umm, I forget which ones I like, I think it’s the red ones; yeah, gimme a pack of the red ones.”

“The red ones?” the cashier asks quizzically and raises an eyebrow. (who says that?!)

(peering at the name) “Marlboro. They’re, like, not too strong, right?”

“Strong? I don’t understand what you mean…”

“Never mind, I just want one pack.”

“Okay, well I’ll have to see your ID”(Girl hands her her debit card)

“I still need your ID.”

“What? My picture’s on there.”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t show your age.”

“Don’t you only have to be 18 to buy these? Come on… fine, I’ll get it. (She rummages through purse, sure enough, no ID) Oh, um, I must have left it in the car.”

“Then you can’t buy these, would you still like your other items?”

(Flustered and red, the girl scurries away, mumbling) “no, it’s okay.”

She leaves behind a box of tampons and a toothbrush.

Good times.

3 comments:

A, E, e, a said...

I LOVE IT!!! This was a conversation YOU overheard!?! So classic. Reading that makes me miss being on Young Life staff and loving kids like that. Thanks for the great re-cap.

mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Case and Los said...

Emo, actually the YL area director we hang with all the time heard that and shared it when he came back from grabbing chips for us Saturday night! Of course when he tells it, it's way funnier...