Friday, April 11, 2008

Love God with all Your Heart, Mind, Soul and what?

This is not a theological reflection per se, but why do we strive to love God with all that we are, yet leave off that last bit about strength? Our bodies are our temples, so the scripture goes, yet most of us pollute the crap out of them with alcohol, drugs (caffeine: the 'Christian' drug) and even bad or too much food. At least I do. Being overweight seems to be a socially acceptable sin, what with 2/3 of our country falling somewhere in that camp.

One of my longest friends, Becky has inspired me to achieve bucket list #6. Unlike people who go on diets to drop from size 6 to size 4 (grrrr), she’s someone I can resonate with, since we’re both tall and large-framed. She has reshaped her lifestyle and lost 50 pounds thus far in her journey, feeling healthier than ever. We were both athletes and continued to eat like athletes when we stopped playing year-round sports. Carbs carbs carbs, ever since I was a kid. Because of that, I realized, I’ve gained about 35 pounds in the past ten years. I’m not proud of this, but I didn’t even notice it at first, because 4 pounds a year doesn’t seem like a lot… But they are sneaky little suckers and definitely snuck up on me!

So as I wrote about before, I’m starting my own journey about awareness, and change. I know it will take a long time, but I’m looking forward to it. I’ve been reading the book that she uses, and have learned more than I ever thought I would about things like my liver, lymphatic system, colon and supplements/vitamins. The author encourages organic food and cutting out alcohol, caffeine, sugar and empty calories. And (what may be the hardest part for me) drinking half your weight in ounces of water every day. That task alone makes me want to drop pounds:) Dave Lutz, a Seattle therapist and speaker that I like a lot, has recommended this to me before; but I thought it would be impossible. I see a sign- Many Bio Breaks Ahead!

I am intimidated to attempt to lose weight and be on a ‘diet,’ because this is something I’ve never done before. I don't know if I believe I can do it, which is sad, but honest. However, the awareness I’m gaining has been amazing. Like the difference between healthy food and unhealthy food. I heard someone say you should only shop around the outside walls of grocery stores. Sure enough, that’s where the fruits, veggies, protein and dairy I need is. It makes me sad that you have to have more money to eat more healthily- the cheap food is the empty-calorie carbs, sugary/salty stuff.

So anyone who wants some sugar, let me know, I’m cleaning out our cupboards of that stuff- I’ll be your sugar mama:) Maybe we’ll bring some back (in ‘moderation’) eventually, but for now, out it goes!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you...and it is a process. I've switched my eating habits this winter and make virtually everything from scratch - cutting out chemicals, preservatives, etc.

What book are you reading?

I've gotten SO much better on the eating thing and now I need to work on the exercise part...not only doing the exercise, but learning to enjoy it!

yup said...

just thought i'd drop in and say "hey!" Got your message the other day, but I haven't had much of a chance to do anything with it. can't wait to "meet" you! :)

Case and Los said...

Janice, let's talk more, I'd love to hear how you've switched your eating! I've been reading two books, actually by Ann Louise Gittleman, do you know her? She's in ID like you:)
---

Libby, yay!

Anonymous said...

Casey, I've been struggling lately in gaining back control of food. You're questions and desire for change is inspiring to me. I wish you the best of luck and I'm glad we can go through this process together.

Anonymous said...

Casey, I've been struggling lately in gaining back control of food. You're questions and desire for change is inspiring to me. I wish you the best of luck and I'm glad we can go through this process together.