Monday, April 28, 2008

Long, slow, painful death...

I never thought this day would come. I am now realizing that I have to say goodbye to my beloved iBook. This weekend, our friend Carl said, "umm, something is wrong with your computer." The following was a blur, as I was in denial (say is ain't so!), but I'm think he said something like it is the slowest machine he has seen. Ever. And he's a Ph.D. candidate in Computer Science. I trust him. And as the Mac Genius told me last weekend, "well, ma'am (read: IDIOT), mechanical failures are normal, these machines weren't built to last forever." WHAT?! WHY NOT?! I love my iBook. SO WHAT if it's 7 years old?! (which is like, a 100 years old, in technology-speed)

It matters more to me than any other possession I have. We have been through so much together. I've had it since b.c. (before Carlos). We've struggled through 5 YEARS of graduate school together. It has kept me connected to the larger world when my introverted self naturally stays at home hibernating. It, along with my trusty cell phone, has kept me to connected to Carlos when, for half our marriage, he has been overseas. And since we've never had a tv, or stereo, it is my sole source of music and dvd watching. How could it leave me at a time like this?

At many people's prompting, we finally sucked it up and got an external hard drive. I'm in the process of trying to pull everything valuable from my iBook, so when that final fated day comes, I will have made my peace and be prepared to say goodbye. Sigh.

2 comments:

A, E, e, a said...

awww...so sad, but pretty stinkin' impressive that you've held on to a laptop for SEVEN years!?! Are you kidding me!?! 4 years is practically record-setting. It had a good life, may it RIP. =)

Case and Los said...

True true:)