Friday, April 4, 2008

Love is in the Air

I decided this week that the ‘late-20’s’ season of life is weird, relationship-wize. I now have friends across the spectrum from married for a decade with three kids, all the way to not dating at all. It is weird to graduate from high school and all be relatively in the same place, and then over the currents of a decade to drift to such different destinations. But recently, a lot of new love has taken me by joyous surprise.

Just as all of my perennial buds are starting to burst forth with new growth and exquisite color, new relationships seem to be all around me- is it the spring? People have flown to Seattle this weekend from Nashville, Kansas and Texas to be with the one their hearts long for. I love hearing about new love, it is so sweet. To quote one friend last night, “I have to go buy a sleeping aid, I am too excited to sleep tonight.” Today and the next couple of days, these new couples will be cherishing every touch, every glance, every new memory made. I am glad for their hearts to be so happy. I remember those days with fondness. To those friends, I can't wait to hear how your weekends go!

And while I don’t yearn to go back to that stage myself, I want to make a conscious effort to keep ‘newness’ in my own marriage. If you’re reading this and have been in a relationship a while, I’d love to hear what you do to keep things fresh, and about rituals you have that make your twosome special.

1 comment:

John Richerson said...

Lisa and I just received the card you sent of Los and Burly in front of the 1330 House in Monterey. . . . we loved it. It is great to get back in touch with you through your most excellent and eloquent musings.
Lisa and I will be celebrating our 16th anniversary this year and as we looked into each other's eyes this afternoon on our back porch in Sasebo Japan with cherry blossoms in the air and sounds of spring all around us we both realized how giddy we were to just be together again. I love my wife so deeply it is uncomfortable some times. I frequently feel helpless to resist the smile I feel welling up from inside me when I am in her presence. I was never like that in our dating years or early marriage. I was too busy trying to be something I thought I should be rather than what I was.
Keep living, keep serving, keep loving together, and that fertile ground will produce relationship fruit beyond what you and Carlos could ever dream of. Yet another benefit of serving a God whom you can never out love.

Hey, check out our new family blog www.richersonfamily.com

We love you guys.

John and Lisa