Sunday, June 1, 2008

Brazilian Soccer- the beautiful game



For our date night Saturday, we went to maybe my favorite sporting event ever thus far (other than the Olympics in '02), the Brazil-Canada World Cup 2010 qualifier. I've been outside the Rose Bowl, and the 2004 (big deal- Sox won) Yankees-Red Sox ALCS, but never coughed up the dough for the tickets. This was $200 well spent, it was SO EXCITING. I still love soccer, even though I haven't played in years now. I mark my life by World Cups and can tell you exactly where I was for the past few (2006- Canadian pubs in Vancouver, 2002- in Seattle, right before moving to Berkeley, 1998- Amsterdam pub and Kyrgyzstan, watching anywhere with a tv! 1994 and 1990- in California on the floor at my mom's house).

Canadian Fashion (or lack thereof!)

Brazilian Fashion (she was wearing 5 inch wedge heels too!)


Sitting in the 5th row, even near the goal line, was so cool. You could hear the players and see their fancy footwork up close. I have never seen such flawless passing in my life. Corner kicks (which I used to take and love) were 5 yards away from me, amazing! Of course with our sub-par camera, I couldn't capture the action, but I tried. Within the first 3 minutes of the game Brazil scored right in front of my face, and 7 minutes later, on an amazing header, Canada scored the equalizer. The end score was 3-2, with 2 goals taken away for offsides and many near misses; it was so action-packed we were hoarse and breathless.



Doing the wave with people from all over the world was so fun. I had no idea there were that many Brazilians in the Northwest! The sea of obnoxious yellow even beat out the Seattle uniform (Black North Face). The people-watching was fantastic, as many of the 47,000 fans came decked out in hilarious outfits and a bunch of Brazilians did Capoeira (this awesome Brazilian 'fight' dance I always love to watch- check out the video if you don't know what I'm talking about) outside the stadium to the pulsing rhythm of the drums they beat for three hours before, during and after the game. Such a fun night!

My sentiments exactly:)

1 comment:

A, E, e, a said...

Great pictures and the people-watching DOES look FANTASTIC! HOw do you get multiple photos to 'stack' like that within a single post? My only options are across the top of the posting in S,M,L sizes...?