Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fuller Pasadena Graduation

The Pasadena graduation was a lot longer and more special than the Fuller Northwest graduation. About 800 of us made up the largest class ever to graduate from a seminary. All 50 states and 35 countries were represented, S. Korea dominated with about 100, but there were individuals from surprising places like Iran, Myanmar and Ethiopia. Rick Warren (aka Purpose Driven Life) was the recipient of an award (he got his D.Min at Fuller in the 90's) and gave us our benediction. It was neat to see him again (Los and I went to his church on our honeymoon, since it's right down the street from my aunt/uncle's) but it was even more special to see Earl, our pastor, there. His son-in-law finished his Ph.D. and Earl was there to support him, even if it meant flying back up immediately to preach 5 sermons in Seattle the next day!

It was special to share that accomplishment with my parents, who have seen me from pre-school though grad school.

Wearing the robe was much more uncomfortable in the CA heat!

I got to see the Dayton girls whom I know from Jacksonville, which was fun- big fan of theirs.

Back in the hotel suite relaxing. Carlos is bonding with my dad, by jumping on top of him; my dad's face cracks me up. They had a good time together being silly.

3 comments:

mama said...

It was indeed a wonderful visit, and your beautiful graduation was a special gift, and I'm popping with pride over your accomplishment! love, mama

yup said...

ok, so that's really weird - you know katie dayton???!!!! Um, yeah - one of my dear friends at Fuller... ohhhh Fuller and its small world!! :)

congrats on graduating, and of course, oh surviving two graduation ceremonies - I WISH we had a shorter, smaller, more intimate/meaningful ceremony. um, you would have seen me, ps... that's all I'm gonna say - you might have been one of those people when I was sitting in my seat that I thought - do I know her?

Anyway, congrats! :)

yup said...

whoa, you're good! yeah, i'd love to! And i'd love to have KaDe join us (yeah, I just made that up...!)